Friday, January 8, 2010
Over the last few years, Dental Clinics have instituted various action plans to make dental offices more eco-friendly. With so much public awareness about the Green Movement recently.During the last decades, public awareness and professional accountability on environmental issues has been increasing steadily as human activities have already resulted in irreversible global changes.
* We have replaced incandescent lights with florescent lighting, which is five times more efficient.
* We have fully integrated comprehensive practice management software, which stores all of our patient records. This means no more wasting paper in order to produce paper charts and records.
* All of our computers, faxes, copy machines, and printers are Energy Star rated, meaning they run cooler and save on energy.
* We recycle all paper, cardboard, plastic, and glass, and we use recycled/remanufactured ink for our printers.
* We have digital radiography, which means no more film processing with harsh chemicals. It also uses less radiation than a traditional X-ray system.
* We have a CAD/CAM milling machine which reduces material use, as well as fuel consumption by both lab and patient.
* We use less water with our motion sensor sprays used to disinfect our hands.
* We use biodegradable, non-toxic cleaners.
* We consolidate our supply orders to save packaging and fuel consumption.
* We use an autoclave cassette system rather than paper and plastic bags for most instrument sterilization.
* We use an oil free air compressor and oil free vacuum system.
* Our office is mercury-free
Most importantly, we do not place mercury-based amalgam fillings in our patients’ mouths. We have an amalgam/mercury separator in our vacuum system which filters out the discharge of the harmful element mercury from the filling material that we remove from patients’ teeth.
Our main goal is to inform the dental community on contemporory literature on dental waste production and disposal,but most of all to sensitize all those involved in dental education for actions that will lead to an environmentally responsible dental practice.If you have any questions about green dentistry or mercury-free dentistry, don’t hesitate to call us. We’re happy to share information about our technology and procedures.